Free Nicotine Patches and Gift Card Incentive for Medi-Cal Members Who Want to Quit Smoking Mailed Directly from the California Smokers' Helpline
- These incentives include free nicotine patches and a $20 gift card bonus for members who call the California Smokers' Helpline at 1-800-NO BUTTS and enroll in Helpline counseling.
- The nicotine patches and the gift card are mailed directly to the member's home.
- To be eligible for the $20 gift card bonus when calling the Helpline, members must 1) Ask for the gift card; 2) Have a valid Medi-Cal Beneficiary Identification Card number; and 3) Complete the first counseling session. The gift card can be used for purchases at major retailers in California, including Wal-Mart, Target, Safeway/Vons and Ralphs/Kroger.
- Read more about the MIQS incentives in the Helpline's press release.
Help Smokers Quit for Good
Medi-Cal members smoke at higher rates than the general population and are at high risk for developing smoking-related diseases like diabetes and heart disease. Research has shown that smokers who use cessation counseling and a quitting aid such as nicotine replacement patches are more likely to quit for good. It may take several tries for smokers to quit. Every time they try, they get closer to their goal of quitting smoking.
Here's how you can help Medi-Cal members quit smoking:
Use the Ask Advise Refer cessation intervention:
1) ASK all Medi-Cal members if they smoke.
2) ADVISE them to quit smoking.
3) REFER members who smoke to the California Smokers' Helpline at 1-800-NO-BUTTS for free, telephone-based cessation counseling in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Korean and Chinese. Members may also sign up online at https://helpline.ucsd.edu/registration/ and register for text messages at www.nobutts.org/texting.
4) MOTIVATE members to call by telling them about the free nicotine patches mailed to their home and $20 gift card bonus. Download the member flyer to give to members and refer them to www.nobutts.org/Medi-Cal.
Sign Up for the MIQS Newsletter Here
Read the MIQS E-Newsletters:
MIQS Outreach Materials
Order MIQS Posters and Postcards: To order free MIQS posters and postcards for your organization, email Cynthia.Vela@cdph.ca.gov.
Downloadable materials are for health care providers and social service organizations that serve Medi-Cal members. Materials include fact sheets, press release, member outreach flyers in six languages, sample newsletter articles, web and print badges and banners, and Helpline materials order forms and fax referral form.
You can also download the Helpline's fax referral form and materials order form from these links.
If you have questions about the Medi-Cal Incentives to Quit Smoking Project, contact:
Cynthia Vela, MIQS Outreach Specialist, Phone: 916-552-9904, Email: email@example.com
Sue Kratochvil-Smith, Outreach Specialist, Phone: 916-445-8502, Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about the MIQs Project or to download materials, click on the links below.
MIQS Tools for Provider Action: Downloadable materials are for health care providers and social service organizations that serve Medi-Cal members. Materials include sample newsletter articles, web and print badges and banners, provider action sheet, and Helpline materials order forms and fax referral form.
MIQS Data: Statewide and county-specific data on smoking prevalence and Helpline Medi-Cal calls.
MIQS Partners and Rationale: Organizations involved in MIQS and the evidence for promoting incentives.
Files (Click a File to Download)
- Helpline Fax Referral Form 09_24_13 (46.0 KB)
- Helpline Press Release MIQS Offers Nicotine Patches to Medi-Cal Members 09-30_13 (54.7 KB)
- MIQS Fact Sheet 09_30_13 (655 KB)
- MIQS Frequently Asked Questions 11_20_13 (110 KB)
- MIQS Outreach Flyers Six Languages 09 20 13 (3.19 MB)
- MIQS Web Banners and Badges 09 20 13 (900 KB)
- Free Smoking Cessation Materials order form (756 KB)