California Smokers' Helpline Launches Free Web-Based Referral Service
The California Smokers’ Helpline—http://www.nobutts.org—just made it easier for health professionals to refer their patients who smoke to the Helpline for free, evidence-based, tobacco cessation services in multiple languages.
Health professionals can now register online for the Helpline’s new free, web-based referral service. Once approved, it’s easy and convenient to refer patients who want to quit smoking with the Helpline’s online referral service – just select the provider name from the drop-down menu, enter the patient’s name, date of birth, phone number and preferred language, obtain patient consent, and click save! For more information, read the Helpline's Web Referral Service flyer.
- These incentives include free nicotine patches and a $20 gift card bonus for members who call the California Smokers' Helpline at 1-800-NO BUTTS and enroll in Helpline counseling.
- The nicotine patches and the gift card are mailed directly to the member's home.
- To be eligible for the $20 gift card bonus when calling the Helpline, members must 1) Ask for the gift card; 2) Have a valid Medi-Cal Beneficiary Identification Card number; and 3) Complete the first counseling session. The gift card can be used for purchases at major retailers in California, including CVS, Wal-Mart, Target, Safeway/Vons and Ralphs/Kroger.
- Read more about the MIQS incentives in the Helpline's press release.
Here's How You Can Help Medi-Cal Members Quit Smoking
Use the Ask, Advise, Connect and Motivate cessation intervention:
1) ASK all Medi-Cal members if they smoke.
2) ADVISE them to quit smoking.
3) CONNECT members electronically to the California Smokers' Helpline at 1-800-NO-BUTTS for free, telephone-based cessation counseling in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Korean and Chinese. First, register your organization at http://nobutts.org/referral/register.aspx. Once you are registered and receive confirmation from the Helpline, go to http://nobutts.org/referral/ to sign up your patients.
It's as easy as 1, 2, 3: 1) Enter your provider information; 2) enter the patient's information; and 3) read the permission language to your patient and check the box to indicate the patient provides consent. Then click send. You will receive immediate confirmation of your referral from the Helpline.
4) MOTIVATE members to enroll in Helpline counseling by telling them about the free nicotine patches mailed to their home and $20 gift card bonus. Download the member flyer to give to members and refer them to www.nobutts.org/Medi-Cal.
Sign Up For the MIQS Newsletter Here
Read the MIQS E-Newsletters:
MIQS Outreach Materials
Downloadable materials are for health care providers and social service organizations that serve Medi-Cal members. Materials include fact sheets, press release, member outreach flyers in six languages, sample newsletter articles, web and print badges and banners, and Helpline materials order forms.
You can also download the Helpline's materials order form from these links.
If you have questions about the Medi-Cal Incentives to Quit Smoking Project, contact:
Cynthia Vela, MIQS Outreach Specialist, Phone: 916-552-9904, Email: email@example.com
Sue Kratochvil, Outreach Specialist, Phone: 916-445-8502, Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about the MIQs Project or to download materials, click on the links below.
MIQS Tools for Provider Action: Downloadable materials are for health care providers and social service organizations that serve Medi-Cal members. Materials include sample newsletter articles, web and print badges and banners, provider action sheet, and Helpline materials order forms.
MIQS Data: Statewide and county-specific data on smoking prevalence and Helpline Medi-Cal calls.
MIQS Partners and Rationale: Organizations involved in MIQS and the evidence for promoting incentives.
Files (Click a File to Download)
- Helpline News Release Web-Based Referral System 01_14_14 (66.1 KB)
- Helpline Press Release MIQS Offers Nicotine Patches to Medi-Cal Members 09-30_13 (54.7 KB)
- MIQS Fact Sheet and Provider Action Ideas 03_04_14 (821 KB)
- MIQS Flyer Web-Based Referrals 03_05_14 (474 KB)
- MIQS Frequently Asked Questions for Health Professionals 01_14_14 (110 KB)
- MIQS Poster African_American English and Spanish 03_03_14 (751 KB)
- MIQS Poster Chinese (Traditional and Simplified) 03_03_14 (867 KB)
- MIQS Poster Korean_Vietnamese 03_03_14 (705 KB)
- MIQS Poster Multi-Cultural English and Spanish 03_03_14 (726 KB)
- MIQS Poster Native American English and Spanish 03_03_14 (745 KB)
- MIQS Provider Newsletter Samples and Graphics 01_30_14 (761 KB)
- MIQS Web Banners and Badges 09 20 13 (900 KB)
- Free Smoking Cessation Materials order form (756 KB)